Below is a list of the top 10 patent law firms in the US based on issued patents over the following years: 2011, 2012, 2013.
I am pleased to see that my former firm, Harness, Dickey, and Pierce is still listed as a top 5 law firm even after my departure. I am very glad that I was able to learn from experienced patent attorneys at a top law firm before opening my own firm in Austin, Texas.
As easily seen from the following list, most major law firms do not have offices located in Austin or Texas for that matter. One reason for this is that the United Stated Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is located in Alexandria, Virginia right outside of Washington D.C. For a more complete list please click this link.
- Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, LLP (1 Office, Washington D.C., not located in Austin)
- Sughrue Mion, PLLC (Multiple offices, none in Austin or in Texas)
- Birch, Stewart, Kolasch & Birch, LLP (Multiple offices, none in Austin or in Texas)
- Oliff & Berridge, PLC (Multiple offices, none in Austin or in Texas)
- Harness, Dickey & Pierce, PLC (3 offices, Virginia, St Louis, Michigan) (my old firm)
- Fish & Richardson (Multiple Offices, including Austin, Texas)
- Cantor Colburn LLP (4 offices, none in Austin or Texas)
- Knobbe, Martens, Olson & Bear, LLP (Multiple offices, none in Austin or in Texas)
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton (Multiple offices, none in Austin or in Texas)
- Foley & Lardner (Multiple offices, none in Austin or in Texas)
As you can see from the above list, Fish & Richardson is the only firm listed as having the most patents granted over the last couple of years that is located in Texas. This is not to say that there are not many great patent attorney’s located in Austin, Texas, just that the major firms doing patent prosecution are not located in Austin, Texas.
As stated above, having been trained at a top patent law firm in the United States allows me to provide better patent and intellectual property advice to start-ups located in Austin at lower costs to my clients.